Search This Blog

Thursday, May 8, 2008

What about the year 2268?

Eternity is such a long time....

I picked a year in the future. A year that I would have turned 300. That will be at least 3 times the amount of time I spent alive on earth. 2268 will be a full year, with full days, with sunshine and trees and mosquitos and people. But everyone who reads this blog and the one who wrote this blog will not be here. Where will be be?

If I take a humanistic approach I will believe that my human body will be long fed to the worms and my soul was just the result of chemical that ran through my body when it was functioning. Thus, in 2268 I do not exist anywhere. By gosh I need to start partying and making money and living crazy now because once my body is gone then I am gone. What a desparate and depraved way to approach the short time we have on earth...

If I take the Christian approach then I believe that because I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior while here on earth then my body will still be long gone in 2268 but my soul will be with God. Now think again about the time. Frankly God's time has been debated but by earthly standards hundreds and thousands and millions of years is a long time. That is a long time for my soul to be with or be without God.

This leaves us with the infamous "Eternal Choice", a choice that we must make (or not make) while we still live here. What about the year 2268? What about the year 2340938749823? Where do you want to spend eternity? Long gone after living a meaningless life or with the Creator of everything forever?

No comments: