Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Unique kick-drum

[DUE TO MY STROKE IN JUNE 2009 YOU WILL OCCASIONALLY READ POTENTIAL MISTAKES OR POORLY WRITTEN SENTENCES.  I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE]  

I am sure that most people have heard the song, a one-hit wonder for the 1969 single, "More Today Than Yesterday".    It was done by the American band, Spiral Starecase.  I have heard this song a million times but I recently heard it for the first time.  I actually was listening to the drum part more closely this time.   I've noticed for the first time that the bass drum was pretty darn cool.   On the hi-hat and snare he's playing a simple ride but the bass drum is kind of doing some sort of off-beat stuff which added a very nice touch to it.   It's hard to explain this. 

I suggest that you give it a listen and focus on the bass drum.


I honestly thank Vinny Parello (their drummer) for having the guts to play this very slick bass drum part out of standard bass drumming.  They were not established as superstars which can restrict them to what they are playing.  Any paying recording studio could hear his bass drumming and not like it or thought it was too messy (which it wasn't) and had them re-record it.   Their manager might have said 'you know, the bass drum and bass guitar have to be in sync during the song. Whatayou doin?'   But luckily it was played the way he liked it and it was officially on the record forever..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.


Take a look at my web site check this out